Box office report for weekend of: February 14-16.
Four new movies opened: About Last Night, Robocop (technically opened on Wednesday), Endless Love and Winter’s Tale.
Hello Geek Juice News readers. I hope you all had a nice Valentine’s Day weekend. Let’s take a look at what country decided to see over the weekend.
- The LEGO Movie- Everything was awesome for Warner Bros. as they took the number one spot for a second week. It made $48.8 million, bringing its total gross to $129.1 million. Warner Bros. spent $60 million to make the movie. Check out Alex Jowski’s review of the movie.
- About Last Night- This romantic comedy, which is a remake of the ‘80s film of the same name, had a very strong opening weekend. It made $27 million and it cost Sony/Screen Gems $12.5 million to make. Reviews have been mostly positive. It holds a 76% on Rotten Tomatoes and the website says it “benefits from an engaging cast and a screenplay that smartly balance romance and comedy.” On Metacritic it holds a 62.
- RoboCop- Sony’s remake of the classic Paul Verhoeven film grossed $21.5 million, but it cost the studio $100 million to make. Perhaps it will be able to make the money back. Reviews are mixed. On Rotten Tomatoes it holds a 49% and according to the synopsis, it is “far better than it could have been but it fails to offer a significant improvement over the original.” On Metacritic it holds a 52. Check out Geek Juice Contributor Scott McArthur’s thoughts on the film.
- The Monuments Men- Grossed $15 million, bringing its total gross to $43.7 million. Sony spent $70 million to make the movie.
- Endless Love- Universal’s remake of the ‘80s film made $13.4 million. Budget is not listed. Critical reception is overwhelmingly negative. Rotten Tomatoes describes the film as “blander than the original” and calls it “cliched and unintentionally silly.” It holds a 14%. On Metacritic it holds a 31.
- Ride Along- Made $8.8 million, bringing its total gross to $116.1 million. Universal spent $25 million to make the movie.
- Winter’s Tale- Akiva Goldsman’s directorial debut grossed $7.8 million. Budget is not listed. Critical reception for this one is also overwhelmingly negative. It holds a 14% on Rotten Tomatoes and the website says it “tries to retain the grandiose sweep of its source novel, but fails to fill it in with characters worth rooting for or a sensible plot.” On Metacritic it holds a 34.
- Frozen: Grossed $5.8 million, bringing its total gross to $376 million. Disney spent $150 million to make.
- Lone Survivor- Grossed $4.1 million, bringing its total gross to $118.4 million. Universal spent $40 million to make.
- That Awkward Moment- Grossed $3.3 million, bringing its total gross to $21.4 million. Focus Features spent $8 million to make.
Did you go to the movies this weekend? What did you see? Let us know in the comments